Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Client 2 - headshots

*Character study portrait*
these shots were for our client #2 assignment for chuck.. we had to have a stark white background and the model had to be from belly button up. (at the lowest) it could have been closer in or not. the model had to be recognizable.
We had to shoot it on medium format transparency film and scan it in - and put it on the server. I ended up scanning in 13! It takes me a while to really decide.

These are the two I couldn't decide between and ended up turning in both of
these, but ended up using the one without the glasses for my final single image for the assignment.


both of these shots were shot with a Mamyia 645, kodak E100G transparency film(shot 2 rolls), exposure @ f/8 @ 1/60th of a sec.. I used a soft box on the right and moved that around a bit and occasionally a fill card. The subject was about 25ft away from the back wall sweep which was lit with 2 umbrellas (creating that white white background) I shot them in the RCC studio. All lights used were Broncolor lights.

I did minor photoshop adjustments to them, the bottom one with the glasses I did some retouching on the right eye glass to take out the soft box. I really liked that one because of the can-did expression. ( so i wasn't really shooting to reduce the glare then) The first one is the one I ended up using because of his stare and how his eyes look. its almost like a drawing how well his eyes and shoulders line up in the frame. I am a fan of the subtle split light as well.

The model is a first year photostudent named Matt Bell. He has quite the amazing beard!

Let me know what you think of the photos! <3>

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thu Sep 14, 08:28:00 AM, Blogger RC said...

Katie,
I really loved looking at you head shots in class. Personally, My favorite is the first one, his eyes really draw you into the photograph. although the second one (with the glasses) myakes me laugh, this seems more like a photograph then a professional head shot. Great job using different poses!

 
At Thu Sep 14, 02:58:00 PM, Blogger Monica said...

I really like the first picture because of the guys facial expression. It goes more with the person.

 
At Fri Sep 15, 09:43:00 AM, Blogger doug said...

Good job Mintonk. I really like the first photograph. I think you simply captured the attitude of this person. Good exposure and very clean. It would look good as a cover shot in a magazine.

 
At Fri Sep 15, 01:15:00 PM, Blogger J. Worth said...

The eyes are lit very well and the expression looks great. The only thing I would do different is to put a little more fill on his hair to gather the texture. The curly hair and the beard seems like a big part of his personality and they kind of get lost on the left side. Overall awesome!

 
At Fri Sep 22, 07:08:00 AM, Blogger Rafael Medel said...

I like the first picture because of the shape of the hair and the lighting of the face. This is a very dramatic picture that captures part of the personality of the subject.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home